Even the best presenters struggle with keeping audience attention during the last (and critical) minutes of their presentation. You had promised time at the end for Q&A but, in giving your listeners a chance to ask their particular questions, you face three big risks.
- The loss of interest if questions are not generally relevant
- The deadly quiet if no one has a question
- The difficulty of handling surprise or challenging questions
- Think ahead about the questions that might be posed and prepare your answers
- Use the time to ask not just for questions but for audience thoughts or observations
- Break into small groups for them to choose which questions would be the most valuable